The Latina/o/x Studies Program offers students the opportunity to earn credit for independent work with a University of Iowa faculty member. Independent projects must be approved by the Latina/o/x Studies Program prior to student registration.
For a full list of CLAS policies on independent study, visit the college's Undergraduate Independent Study Policies page.
Enrollment Criteria and Instructions
- Students find a faculty mentor for their LATS:4990 Independent Project Latina/o/x Studies. Contact the LATS Academic Advisor if you need help finding a faculty mentor.
- Students follow the instructions below to create a project proposal.
- Students complete an online Registration Preapproval form to request approval for their LATS:4990 Independent Project Latina/o/x Studies. They must upload their project proposal to the online form.
- Students will receive an email with permission to enroll in LATS:4990 Independent Project Latina/o/x Studies within 5 days of the final approval of the online form. The deadline to add a course without a Dean's signature is day 10 of the fall and spring semesters. Contact the LATS Academic Advisor with questions.
- Students must be in academic good standing to register for LATS:4990 Independent Project Latina/o/x Studies.
- If students want LATS:4990 Independent Project Latina/o/x Studies to satisfy any part of their Latina/o/x Studies minor requirements, prior approval must be granted by the LATS Academic Advisor.
- A maximum of 3 s.h. of LATS:4990 credit may be used in the Latina/o/x Studies minor.
Instructions for the Project Proposal
Students must upload a project proposal to the online Registration Preapproval form. The proposal must be typed and must include:
- a one-page description of the project, including:
- the dates and location of your work,
- a specific research question,
- a brief narrative,
- the final form of the project (research paper, poster presentation, multi-media project, etc),
- the grading criteria to be used by your faculty supervisor (i.e. 40% methodology, 20% style, etc.), and;
- a rationale for the number of semester hours requested for the project;
- a timeline for the project, including (but not limited to):
- a plan for a preliminary literature review,
- how often and by what method you will consult with your faculty mentor throughout the project,
- target completion dates for the first and second drafts of your project, if applicable, and
- a final completion date;
- a reading list, in a recognized bibliography format, including at least ten works consulted in your preliminary planning and identification of a research question;
- if you intend to complete your independent study while off campus you must include:
- information regarding your overseas contacts and resources;
- your plan for ongoing communication with your faculty mentor;
- an explanation as to what preliminary work you intend to pursue before departure; and
- proof that an application has been submitted to the Human Subjects Office, if necessary (see the Registration Preapproval form).
NOTE: Any research which involves "human subjects" must be reviewed by the University of Iowa Institutional Review Board (IRB) prior to the initiation of the project. Proof of the determination/review process must also be submitted to the Latina/o/x Studies Program before the project proposal can be approved. Read a summary of the IRB process on the International Programs website. For all questions contact the IRB at (319) 335-6465; or complete the IRB Determination Form to find out if your research meets the definition of human subjects research.